1. You burn more calories. This is the best perk to exercising outdoors in winter. This is because your body is working harder, your metabolism revs up and your body burns more calories and fat to produce energy for your walk - BRILLIANT!!
2. Your endurance performance increases. By challenging yourself to just get out in the cold weather this will help you to strengthening your heart, lungs and circulatory system, thereby improving your overall health.
3. Walking out in the winter can help fight SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) even in the dark!! Being outside and taking in more fresh crisp air in the darker hours helps keep your mind sharp and relieves depression as well as increasing your body’s manufacturing of vitamin D.
4. Winter Walking can help to boost feel good endorphins which elevate your mood and make you happier! The colder weather stimulates your parasympathetic system. (The sympathetic system is known as the “fight or flight” response while the parasympathetic is known as the “relax and renew” system). These endorphins can trigger the release of dopamine and serotonin, neurotransmitters that keep us happy, feeling good and ease depression.
5. It's invigorating, exciting and energizing. This is my personal favourite benefit of cold weather walking. There’s nothing quite like adding that rosy glow to your cheeks and inwardly warming sensation after an intense outdoor winter walk - in the light or dark - with NW friends and doggies. I LOVE it!!
My Tips to keeping it safe, a few simple tips for exercising in the cold and dark:
* Wear light layers that you can peel off or put on as necessary.
* Wear a hat or headband and gloves and a nice bright head torch is a must!
* Adequately insulate your extremities - the face, fingers and toes are the first to get really cold first.
So....No excuses now! See you on Wednesday Nights, 5.45pm for 6pm from either Fairlands Valley Park, Hampson Park, Great Ashby District Park or Graveley. Contact Mel to find out more and how you can join in.
Our bus trip to Playa Blanca. Very very busy full of tourists, long promenade walk and Menu del Dia overlooking Isl… https://t.co/osP8xSTPdP